View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #37
Blue Ghost

Default Re: CW as a roleplaying game?

I guess I was confusing regular MGs with VMGs or even lasers or autocanons.

For armor I meant choosing impact over standard or improved. I guess I wasn't clear.

But yeah, to add here, I remember the huge rack of D&D modules at the back of all the local game stores. And if you crack any one of them you'll see a novel's worth of material therein. But the play style, at the time at least, didn't require a lot of special skills.

That verse the one Convoy adventure published for Car Wars, and those "choose your own adventure" like pocket books that were published later on … "Fuel's Gold" and the like. Again, repeating myself here and to get back on topic, just as a lay pre-teen and later high-school and college age player I was curious why there wasn't more RP stuff. The Road Atlases were interesting reads, but they weren't adventures, just supplements with background material. That, and they were geared for GURPS Autoduel, not strict CW play … which I found really annoying, because everyone I knew who played Car Wars used Car Wars rules, and didn't use GURPS to game out CW sessions in any form...er, there were one or two people I knew who did, but they were the exception as far as I knew.

Anyway, my point here in my rambling on this thread is that at one time I would have loved to have seen more CW RP material instead of the GURPS stuff. GURPS has come a long way, and I admire it now for its various well researched references, but as a CW player I felt that if I wanted to RP in the CW verse that I was forced to buy GURPS Autoduel, and I simply didn't want to spend the time nor money into yet another system on top of all the other games (not to mention school work) that I had on my plate.

And maybe that was the core issue with CW RPing verse GURPS Autoduel; if you were an RPer at the time, and you knew your stuff, then you already had several rule sets in your head for various games in addition to learning chemistry, physics, advanced math like calculus or differential equations and such. Not that GURPS is hard to learn, but the CW rules, with all of the various weapons and addon gadgets, was already a game unto itself. Having to learn GURPS (Autoduel) to RP and adventure in the CW verse, to me, was a major turn off (no pun intended). I almost resented that at the time.

Anyway, I think I've said all I've had to on the topic. I hope my ramblings have been inciteful or helpful to some people.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote