View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #49
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: The 2020 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

My half of Space Atlas IV was the first book I submitted to SJ Games in 1988 (it was published a bit after Ultra-Tech, as SJ Games wanted that out first), and it marked my debut as a RPG writer. Originally written as a 64 page book, SJ Games combined it with another Space Atlas book by Steven Dedman to make a 128 pager. At the time, the original plan was that SJ Games would do one space atlas for each major interstellar government type (e.g., Corporate Worlds, Confederation, etc.) and mine was to be the Federation atlas. That was kind of boring, so I also added two rival bunches of nasties that the Federation could bounce off of. (They aren't anything to do with the Star Trek feds; they're just a federal interstellar system).

I wrote the Phoenix Sector, which has alien cyborgs and parahumans and so on, and which contains a three-way conflict between rival interstellar powers. It was based on the "Tarot" interstellar spy campaign I ran a few years before which was focused on the federation's attempt to discover what Duke Osric was up to in the Phoenix Domain, and the nature of the Malikithi/Ilshani.

Stephen Dedmen wrote the Saga sector. Some people think I wrote this part, because it has a race of catgirls in it, but I'm afraid that was not the case! Other GURPS authors were introducing catgirls before I was.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 04-10-2020 at 09:03 PM.