Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #188
Rick_Smith

Default More memory is boring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
I’m very opposed to turning TFT into a game where you can create characters who effectively can do everything (or almost everything) well. The fact that this *might* describe certain fantasy characters doesn’t matter to me for several reasons. ...
Hi Ty,
I sat down and added up how much memory you would need to get all talents in the old TFT, and got 196 memory points. (I may be off by a bit, I didn't double check. On the other hand, that didn't include any languages.) If you doubled the memory of heroes, you would still be a LONG, LONG way from knowing everything, or even almost everything.

Quote:
Second, these characters may be “one-in-a-million” characters; designing the rules to allow such characters anytime turns the game into a parody of Monty Haul campaigning.
I completely disagree. Cadfael, my Master Merchant, my duel class character who is a Pirate AND a Thief, the Bandit Lord who is also a Ranger, are hardly one in a million characters. And I can pull out biographies of interesting people from history who should clearly be given 20+ memory of talents.

The Grey Mouser is perhaps a 1/1,000,000 character, but TFT does not map well to him, as it does not even BEGIN to model his skill at the sword.

Quote:
Third, this type of approach is bad (very bad in my opinion) for gameplay. I’ve found that campaigns tend to work best when each PC can do at least one important thing significantly better than anyone else in the party. Allowing characters who can effectively do everything eliminates this and makes everyone more or less the same. BOOORING. It also robs us of what I consider to be a real TFT strength - players have to make serious tradeoffs.
As I showed above, an IQ 15 character with 30 memory is a LONG, LONG way from being able to do everything.

I would like to play competent characters and I suspect I am not alone in this desire. Playing a competent pirate who also is a thief, is not boring, in my opinion.

But I think we will have to agree to disagree. The fact that there are so many house rules to allow people to cheat in large or small ways on memory, is strong evidence that I'm not alone in this desire.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote