View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #18
Ciaran

Default Re: Very Fit and Extra Effort in combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
The fact that GURPS always rounds injury, fatigue, and point costs up for the PCs is entirely consistent. "Inconsistent" here would be rounding down for any reason. One could argue that there are bizarre "quantum effects" owing to the fact that N 1-FP expenditures always round up to N FP, while for N > 1, a single N-FP expenditure would become N/2 and always save at least 1 FP . . . but so it goes. Such quantum effects are part and parcel of GURPS having a resolution level or granularity, like any other game. In this case, the effects were also intended. Very Fit is the advantage of suffering less from large, realistic FP burns and not the advantage of needing fewer FP for unrealistic effects (cinematic martial-arts skills, magic, psi, etc.) -- and extra effort in combat is heroic silliness, not realism. Its FP cost was set at 1 FP with the full knowledge that no effects that halve FP costs would work on it. Realistic FP costs for a fight are the ones assessed at the end.

In fact, the decision to make virtually all special skills that cost FP and all extra effort cost 1 FP per use was made with the full knowledge that round-ups would negate Very Fit. :)
Well, there's no court of appeal higher on this one than your good self Sean, so I must quit the field I suppose ;). My guess is that if we want to simulate the in-shape versus out of shape contestant scenario I just described, we simply buy more FP for one of them?
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote