View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 03:03 AM   #5
Icelander

Default Re: Rakshasa Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Just a small note, only partially relevant: When I ran my campaign set on the Pearl Bright Ocean from GURPS Cabal, the rakshasa character had the Kalaripayit style from GURPS Martial Arts. You've probably already looked at this, but if you haven't, it may give you ideas.
Indeed, I did look at Kalaripayattu, but with the space constraints in GURPS Martial Arts, there's not a whole lot of detail on the way each individual armed and unarmed aspect of the art works. There aren't really any notes on how a stylist fights with the different batons, with sword and shield or how the other weapon skills are combined with each other.

Not to mention that Kalaripayattu is one martial art style from a whole subcontinent. It's suitable for Kerala and parts of Tamil Nadu, but Indian śastra-vidyā is a much broader field.

What I want to emulate are fictional and mythological depictions of Indian martial arts, such as those from the Mahabharata and Rāmāyaṇa, but also the characters of Rana Sanga, the Rajput king, and Raghunath Rao, the Panther of Maharashtra, the Wind of the Great Country, the Shield of the Deccan, both of David Drake's and Eric Flint's Belisarius series.