View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
WingedKagouti

Default Re: [Basic] Duration of Advantages with Preparation Required limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Usage. It becomes unprepared immediately after use, and usage needs to be determined at the time of ability creation.

For things that can theoretically last forever, I usually put a limit of 'consciousness'. IE if rendered unconscious your Requires Preparation DR will go away. Or I require some other annoyance that will mean the ability needs to get turned off every so often, otherwise, as you note, it becomes an immediate gimme for any Character that has only one such ability with this Limitation.
I'd almost certainly be harsher for something like standard DR, at best I'd let it work for a single combat encounter and I would communicate this to the player during character creation. For (Semi-)Ablative DR I'd let it last until it was destroyed via damage, but once damaged not let it heal without Preparing a new use.

Costs Fatigue would make me ignore the above, since it's a very noticable time limit on its own. And Powers has several Limitations that would also make me point to them as the actual duration: All-Out, Costs HP, Maximum Duration and Requires Concentrate/Ready. These Limitations all have a built in time limit, which means there won't be the same issue of "It stays up forever once Prepared".
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote