View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #132
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: epub format for e23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
PDFs can also be hyperlinked, and indeed many RPG publications are (the Pathfinder core rulebooks spring to mind). They can also have detailed tables of contents with live links to each section.

No, a lot of ereaders don't have browsers of any sort. That kind of thing assumes your reader has wifi or 3G. The browsers that are available on eInk readers (the sort that ePub would be ideal for) tend to refresh slowly, which might make navigating a wiki somewhat painful.

Graham
I know about hyperlinked PDFs, and trust me, it's not even remotelly the same thing. The thing with a tiddlywiki is that you have small sections (D or E heads, in SJGames speak) and you reference them directly. The page doesn't reload, because the whole thing is a SINGLE HTML document. It's displayed by Javascript (using jquery IIRC, in order to make development easy, and forget about the differences between browsers). It might take a while to load, but once loaded, you should be set. Can anyone with an e-in reader that has a browser point it to http://tiddlywiki.org/ ? The site is a tiddlywiki.

Anyway, e-ink e-readers will have decent browsers in a not so far future, and I wasn't recomending this format mainly for e-ink readers, but for other devices where PDF doesn't work that well, such as 7" tablets, smartphones, PCs,... The main benefit is that it can be asy to simply have the tiddlywiki import new information, and so you have your basic set tiddywiki, you import your Powers tiddywiki, and you've got seamless integration of the advantages chapter.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote