View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: In Nomine and real religious reactions?

To be honest, I had to do a little soul-searching when I first started playing because of my own Christian faith (especially with the initial "take" on Yves and Kronos in "Heaven & Hell"). I finally decided I could still play it comfortably, remembering:

1) The fundamental rule of any RPG: This is not the real world!

2) That in a game GM'd by me, the universe can be set up however I want.

Today, it's one of my favorite RPGs, period. To be honest, the way it portrayed angels, demons, Archangels and Demon Princes in general never bothered me all that much; it was some of the specific questions and "big picture" details that raised an occasional eyebrow. (As it happens, I love the "selfless/selfish" dichotomy, especially with how it's been elaborated under Beth's guidance.)

Like some of Attercap's friends, I still prefer not to play demons, though. The current "In Noir-mine" play-by-post is the first exception I've ever made, largely because the noir conventions obviate a lot of the usual conflicts.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote