View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 AM   #50
Tomsdad

Default Re: High/Ultra-Tech Versions of Low-Tech Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post

There is no functional difference between TL3 steels and TL6 steels except for the way they are produced. Steel can be made more quickly and in greater quantity at higher TLs. Once you get to TL7 and above, there start to become available some fancy alloys and advanced hardening techniques that improve performance.
That's pretty much what the articles say, The difference between 'Strong' and 'Hard' steel at TL3 & 4 is really just making the point that a range of steels were available according to different production methods (and other variables) at those TL's.

Given the official cross over point between TL3 & TL4 is 1450 I'd don't think I have a problem saying you could get particularly exceptional examples of steel that would be 81 DR per inch in 1449 and earlier due to specific situations.
These thing are never going to map to hard and fast cut off points. And that leaves aside the point specific TLs in terms of specific technologies vary when and where they appear anyway. The classic example that always seem to come up here being the Romans who seem to have hit different TL break points (in GURPS terms) in different areas!

The Article specially makes that point that at TL5+ those steels become a lot cheaper but not actually significantly better until as you say TL7+ (for the reasons you give)

But I'm interested that your saying TL 3 here not TL4 (which IIRC you previously said) are you saying that this kind of hardened DR81 steel was a mature technology generally available throughout the TL3 period i.e. roughly 600AD and should be considered TL3. As say opposed to pockets of TL4 being available earlier than 1450 in specific circumstances?

Although I admit given pre industrial production systems that last that is pretty nebulous distinction!

edit to respond to your later bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post

Most of the iron made at TL5 was as bad as TL2 cheap iron because of the way it was produced.

Yep I don't disagree (and nether does the article) it just gives earliest TLs it doesn't say it's only available at those TLs.

If nothing else not all metal is produced to withstand physical attacks in combat, I'm sure there's plenty of uses such cheap iron can be put to at higher TLs. The article gives iron the same benefits of reduced cost as TL5+ as it does steel, and as the iron starts cheaper at its the Introductory TL than steel as well of course, that means it gets really cheap in comparison.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 10-13-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote