Thread: Dodgin' Bullets
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #49
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Dodgin' Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
You might very well be able to spot it in settings with faster than light speed. Also you could predict it without directly spoting it (for example you might know that a laser pointed at you will fire at a certain time).
If you're not directly spotting it the whole speed thing makes even less sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Indeed. Ideally, there should be a system to represent your character knowing when and where, within some error, the attack is going to hit. How long that is from the moment the character determines it would grant the character a bonus to defend, with an appropriate adjustment for the above error. I've no good idea on how to build such a thing, unfortunately.
Nah. Or only for explosive projectiles, anyway.

If, somehow, you character knows where a projectile is going to hit more than a second (really even, say, half a second) in advance their successful basic dodge by not being there shouldn't even take a roll. If they're capable of re-positioning out of the path, they can do so.

But there's no need to have any idea where a projectile is going to hit. The point is moving such that the shooter can only guess at where you're going to be a couple seconds after they pull the trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
In a setting where objects can move faster than lightspeed, characters being able to perceive faster than lightspeed is a possibility. Of course, that pretty much has to be the case for penalties beyond c to come into play - if you can't perceive it, you can't defend against it.
Except that you absolutely can dodge lasers in reality, without being able to perceive either the attack or the attacker.