View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #44
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Dwarven Governance & Economics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Mining rights and depth are a tricky issue. Here in Australia, land ownership titles exist only, with one exception* for the surface. subsurface exploration and extraction leases are issued by the state. Given Australia's economic reliance upon mining, you can guess who gets to push, and who gets shoved.
In Colorado, a property owner can sell the surface rights and the mineral rights separately, which can lead to a really tangled mess after a few generations. Professional "land men" make a good amount of money by going through the various records and determining who owns what mineral royalties. I can see Dwarves having a similar archivist, especially if they've engaged in multiple dealings with humans or gnomes on the surface.

(Exploitation of those mineral rights, I'll add, is regulated by the state here -- in fact, it's very jealous of that right and steps on attempts by local communities to do any regulation of their own. Which also seems very Dwarvish now that I think about it. :) )

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote