View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
jason taylor

Default Re: Stocking your Life Pod

A large database full of reading material. Not just survival guides and local intelligence, but entertainment. One of the chief hazards seems to be boredom.

Which reminds me of something I read once of a Russian story about someone who endured voluntary solitary confinement for twenty years on a bet. And then came out the day before he won the bet to prove he had read so much that he was a true philosopher and scorned money.

A cyanide capsule. Who says you are going to land on a habitable planet or land at all? It might be a handy thing to have. It wouldn't be "kosher" for me but if one is being realistic one must think about it.

Tea leaves. Plus enough seeds to plant. You may have to subsist on boiled water for a long time.

If I am likely to land on a habited planet I would like proof of citizenship in The Federation. As well as money. Definitely proof of citizenship. The possibility of a visit by the Space Marines may be all that prevents being enslaved.