View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #18
ClayDowling

Default Re: The GCA Repository (GCA file archive)

Right now the GCA repository only lets you view the contents that match search criteria. But I want to see what's in there that I wouldn't even think to search for.

An example from this morning's shopping trip:

I went to Harbor Freight looking for a paint sprayer. If it had been the sort of store where you walk up to a window and ask for what you want, I would have gotten my paint sprayer a lot more quickly. Instead, at Harbor Freight you walk around the store and pick up your items from the shelf. So in getting to the paint sprayer, I walked past the bin with bicycle lifts (a pulley and hook arrangement for easily hanging your bicycle from the ceiling in your garage or shed), and I have two of those now. I also walked past the bin with multi-bit screwdrivers, and picked up one of those for a friend. And I happened to see a good deal on motorcycle jacks, so I bought that too. Before I left, I also grabbed the paint sprayer I was looking for.

In other words, by making their products browseable, instead of just getting one item to me with great efficiency, they managed to get 6 items to me. That meant that instead of getting $14 out of one customer, they got $125 out of that same customer, just by having the right interface.

BTW, if you're looking for a paint sprayer, you might want to hit Harbor Freight today. Good prices.
ClayDowling is offline   Reply With Quote