View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #32
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Oh so many good ideas!

*Mass Combat/Domain Rules

*Overland stuff (probably part of Domain Rules)

*Religious magic

*New Talents (expanding on concepts to include modern gaming sensibilities)

*New Kinds of Magic

*New Combat Rules (including stuff to improve survivability at high levels)

*Psionic Rules

*Mythic Level Play (playing heroes and demi-gods in mythic settings)
Hi Tywyll, everyone.
I agree with virtually everything on your list. That said...

-- I'm not sure what you mean by Overland stuff.
-- I super agree with new talents, as they will help mid to elder campaigns.
-- I am a bit iffy on Mythic Level play. My reason for this are below.

I've always have had an active TFT campaign since 1979, and gradually my campaigns have grown in power levels. Players last longer, and characters in the mid to late 40 attributes are common. Characters in the low 50's attributes are fairly rare but certainly not unknown.

If TFT out of the box works well up to ~42 to 45 attributes, I've gradually tweaked many different things to let the system work well at higher power levels. This has taken a long time... many different experiments over the years. New talents, spells, a massive alchemist / chemist expansion, new monsters. And most of all, dozens of rules tweaks or pretty major revisions.

It has taken so long to get (what I think is) a really nice system that plays well into the 50 attribute level, that I think that an expansion that tries to be 12 times beyond that would be really, really hard to do well the first try.

If the new TFT had 3 or 4 expansions that made the game better at the 45, then 50, then 55 attribute levels (speaking metaphorically, since those are no longer possible except with wishes and mass attribute adders), then I think that SJG would have a much better chance of doing a Mythic level expansion well.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 06-14-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote