View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #36
tbeard1999

Default Re: Jack Vance's style of magic - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi everyone, Ty.
I read one fellow arguing that the Vancian magic system in D&D was more fun than a fatigue cost system like most other games, because it forces the player who is playing the wizard to think on his feet.

The wizard has prepared a lightning bolt, but he ends up fighting a being with an immunity to shock damage ring. So the wizard lightning bolts the supports holding up the roof to try to bury the monster in a cave in.

To me this makes sense, and matched my experience when I played wizards in D&D.

I've never felt that Jack Vance's style of magic was better or worse than the one in TFT. They were different, and variety is good.
Agreed. As I noted above, spells that almost always succeed are going to need to be keyed to a character’s overall power level. D&D has that metric - levels.

But there’s no such metric in TFT.

IQ works as a proxy for spell power in TFT because the other attributes are required to make a wizard effective. A beginning wizard with IQ 16 will be nearly useless. He’ll fail to cast spells most of the time and will only be able to power a few if does successfully cast them. But if you grant Vancian spells that increase in power with the IQ of the caster, you can have a high level wizard from the beginning. Not great.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote