View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
tshiggins

Default Re: Fleshing Out New Campain Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post

(SNIP)

Please give me your thoughts, I'd love to hear the good and bad, and will take any suggestions under advisement.
While not a bad idea, you do need to watch out for those who resent "bait and switch."

I once had a friend who walked out of a game (fortunately, not one of mine), because the GM said it was one sort of game, but then shifted it to something different several sessions in.

So, I'd warn your players that they need to build modern-day characters in a rural area who have backgrounds that gave them the skills needed to cope with a situation in which the fecal matter hits the whirling blades.

I'd also review their character concepts carefully. Anybody who builds a character with lots of wealth or status would get completely screwed by the collapse of modern society. You'd need to steer that player in a more practical direction.

I'd also pay careful attention to the inter-connectivity of modern life, and how quickly that can break down if you quickly knock enough links out of the technological network that supports us. For instance, most modern farms are highly mechanized. How long will the tractor remain useful if fuel deliveries stop? What happens to the refrigeration for the milk if the electricity goes out, and never comes back? How do you power the milking machines at a dairy? Or the center-pivot irrigation system that pumps water up from a well? What happens to agricultural productivity in the absence of fertilizers and pesticides produced as by-products of the petrochemical economy?

https://archive.org/details/james-bu...ections_s01e01

Most of the best-yielding seeds some from agribusinesses, and while they're genetically designed to maximize yields, they produce no fertile seeds for re-planting. Where do you get new seeds or, if there are some legacy seeds floating around, how badly does the use of them impact yields?

Of course, if you just want a game in which people have infinite amounts of resources to use to kill zombies, then that's a whole 'nother thing. If that's the case, ignore the realities and have fun waxing walkers. :)

Last edited by tshiggins; 03-22-2018 at 03:44 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote