View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Tomsdad

Default Re: Knowing the outcome of an attack before choosing to actively defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This mostly affects fights where a PC is defending against several attacks - either several opponents, or one who can attack several times during a turn.

Parry and Block are defences that degrade with repeated use during a turn. If you're going to keep that the same, they become less useful, because some of their uses will get wasted on attacks that miss. But Dodge retains full effectiveness, and becomes more useful.

Now, I'm guessing that your fights feature a fair amount of Parry and Block, or you wouldn't be noticing the problem. This change is likely to see your PCs trying to boost their Dodges and/or finding ways to have more DR, or stand up to injury better. If you're happy with that, fine.
TBH in most of my campaigns parry and block tend to be the higher defences than dodge, this might be skewing my judgement, and I do tend to limit dodges anyway ala MA. When I do fantasy it's more the gritty dark end of the spectrum. The more DR and injury tolerance point is good one, and one that fits my reasoning, I do want to encourage more defensive fighting. Accordingly I definitely like the idea of my PC's fighting defensively (or tactically) when facing multiple opponents
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote