View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Dienekes

Default Re: Lord of the Rings Elven Racial Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi
Glorfindel returned to Middle-Earth on a Numenorean ship. The Eresseans visited Numenor often enough, and Tar-Minastir was making an expedition to Lindon at that time to help the Eldar against the newly-revealed Sauron. However, Glorfindel was a major exception, and he needed special permission from the Valar to do this. Their general rule was that no elf from Aman or Eressea could go to Middle-Earth after the War of Wrath, even if they had died and the rest of their family lived on the other side of the sea. Glorfindel was sent for the same reason as the Istari, to be an emissary of the Valar and a help to the beleaguered Elves and mortals fighting Sauron. I think Glorfindel and Luthien were probably the only two elves that ever returned to Earth after death (but I don't know how Luthien traveled back).
Is this in Morgoth's Ring? I haven't read the canon any deeper than Sil and Unfinished Tales, but I remember from my fascination with ICE's stuff in the 80's that they left it wide open whether FA Glorfindel was the same guy as TA Glorfindel. Morgoth's Ring was published after the ICE stuff, which would explain their not knowing it. At any rate, I'd like to read about it–Glorfindel was one of the characters I always wanted to know more about.