View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #174
(E)

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

Hall of Judgement review
First off, full disclosure I was involved in a couple of brainstorming sessions early in Hall of Judgement's development. Now that's out of the way a couple of days ago I opened up the mailbox and got my hands on the physical copy I've been looking forward to. This happened a lot faster than any of the other physical kickstarters I have backed before, not that I've backed many.

First impressions
A nice thick book for what is nominally an adventure, well packaged. Colour art is abundant throughout with some smaller illustrations tucked in here and there in the text, which personally I quite like. The art is from a variety of sources and in several styles. The layout seems straightforward and easy to follow.

The content

Adventure
A fairly compartmentalized and sandbox approach to a series of dungeons, this makes the content ideal for canabalising and each of the individual dungeons would make a great one off location. Some attention and caution is required on the part of the players to avoid getting in over their heads. But hints and clues are present to provide fair warning. Almost no work is required to use this adventure in a straight fantasy GURPS game.

Stats
There are two groups of stat blocks, the characters and the bestiary. The norse flavoured characters add depth to a GM's stack of pregens for DFRPG characters in a hurry. At the end of the day they are required content for this type of publication and there is little to say beyond that, they fit the setting and to my rule casual eyes they look legal and accurate. The bestiary is fairly well rounded and write ups are present for all the typical animals that will be encountered. This is handy as having the right numbers at hand for the non combat aspects of animals removes the not uncommon issue of having to look up something like how much can the animal carry etc.

World
I think this section fulfills the same function that the old 3rd edition GURPS worldbooks do. Which is a resource you can drop into an existing game world to add instant detail and depth. My first thought about it was "I'll use this for the possibly viking nation I haven't quite got around to yet in my current fantasy game world"
There are all sorts of useful details and information in this section. But more importantly it conveys a consistent feel for the area and culture.

Rules
Several rules are included in the book, fast grappling rules are the obvious inclusion and will probably suit some gaming group's tastes for a universal grappling system. Some other rules covering the outdoors elements are also included which means they are nice and handy in play.

Last edited by (E); 09-26-2018 at 03:36 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote