View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #22
Suncrush

Default Re: Advice for What Car Wars Products to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
To get back on topic, I think both the US and Russia/Soviets use (or used) hovercraft for amphibious assaults. The USMC has the LCAC, and Soviets have a real monstrosity that nearly the size of a small ocean liner for the same purpose. So from that standpoint, some PCs coming across one in a coastal campaign or something, I can see rules for them.

And I guess it was inevitable that rules for tanks, jet fighters, and whatever else would eventually get published. I guess I'm still kind of locked into the perspective of CW being that new game about a post-apoc USA or whatever country, and people slap weapons on cars for survival. Kind of like a slightly higher tech Mad Max kind of thing.

Just me.
Right, and Car Wars is a the best game for that feel. There are better games for tank and aircraft battles.

But, hey it was RPG-making in the late 80s, early 90s. Getting a core game that could support a ton of supplements was the business model. I'm not going to hold against them that they hadn't learned the business lessons that would come from the next 30 years.

(And since, in a lot of ways, today's business model for some companies is "Milk everything you can out of an edition, and then arbitrarily release a new one," I'm really not going to complain about how SJ Games does business.)
Suncrush is offline   Reply With Quote