View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#34): Destiny

Last Week: Danger Sense, Precognition, Psychometry
Next Week: Detect

One of the difficulties I have been experiencing with this series is the order of topics for review. Following the alphabetical order from the Advantages Trait list found on p. B297-298 seems obvious, but I haven’t been doing that because some traits are so closely related, I am hard pressed to justify not reviewing them together. We also have a long way to go before we get through this list, so I am inclined to group up when I can. Sometimes two closely related traits, traits even traits that are listed together in the Advantages section of Basic Set: Characters can be very far apart alphabetically, and thus in the index. This can be problematic is the most iconic one is not the one under which the CotD will be filed.

All of this is to help explain why even though Daredevil, Dark Vision, and even Deep Sleeper are in front of it in the index, we’ll be covering Destiny today. Daredevil will most likely be reviewed alongside “Luck”, as I don’t think it is too confusing to hide it there. Dark Vision is one of several vision-related Advantages we have yet to cover, many of which are subsets of another. I am thinking of saving those all for a Week using the heading “Vision-Based Advantages” because that seems like something people might search out (and there is not enough room to list all in the thread’s title or tags). If anyone would like to discuss this further with me, feel free to PM me. If it turns out several would like to weigh in, I can start a thread over it.

Basic

Destiny can be either a Supernatural Mental Advantage (p. B48) or Disadvantage (p.B131-132), though it has aspects that are Social or “Other”, as well. Destiny can also be divided between Minor, Major, and Great, worth +/- 5, 10, or 15 points depending on whether it is taken as an Advantage or a Disadvantage. Destiny preordains a particular fate for the character in question, and is basically you agreeing to the GM putting your adventure somewhat “on the rails”. Trying to circumvent your Destiny, even a positive one, invites the GM to arrange a punishment as a matter of RAW (p.B48).

Once you fulfill an advantageous Destiny, the GM ought to allow you to transfer the points to positive Reputation based upon it. If you fulfill a disadvantageous Destiny, and it fails to strip you of appropriate Advantages (like Allies, a good Reputation, Wealth, etc.) worth the inverse of its value, then the GM is to require you pay off the difference. If you don’t, then the GM is free to assign your character Unluckiness or Divine Curse, even if they are worth less (negative numbers here) than your Destiny was. Not sure if the end compensation was intended as the only options or just guidelines.

The GM is allowed to change your Destiny, so long as it is still point value appropriate, and you don’t get to decide the specifics anyway, so one should be careful not to make assumptions. An advantageous Destiny may help keep you alive through a situation where you ought to have died, so you may live to fulfill it, but the text in [Basic] makes it clear that the GM may also find a way to make your death fit your destiny, even Major Destiny [15]. Likewise, if you have the points to pay off your negative Destiny (whatever level it is), you may escape with your honor, or perhaps with your life.

As an Advantage, a Great Destiny means that by the time it is fulfilled, everyone will know your name and sing your praises. As a Disadvantage, it means you’re in for a bad time, either death or ruin, and in a way that it affects those around you as well (possibly the entire campaign setting). A Major Destiny is a slightly less impressive version of a Great Destiny. This level is suggested for someone who is fated to die a heroic death in a certain way and can protect your character from dying in any other way. As a Disadvantage, a Major Destiny means playing a key role in a poor turn of events. An example from the text is being tasked with delivering an important message, and tragedy occurring because you arrive with it too late. A Minor Destiny (as an Advantage) basically guarantees one notable victory, while as a Disadvantage it means one notable failure.

Other Supplements

Focusing on what I own, as usual; feel free to mention things from books I don’t have available, and if all goes well, I’ll Edit it in here. From Powers, I’ve got nothing more than a reference here or there, involving Destiny interacting with other traits like Precognition. Power-Ups 2: Perks includes a Perk level Destiny or two. Power-Ups 3: Talents has Destiny as an appropriate Enabler or Prerequisite (if those rules are being used) for Intuitive Salesmen Talent.

Useful Links

Once again, I have to post this now or run so late we’ll end up skipping a week, so please forgive me for not having any of these researched yet. Do suggest ones for me to add in here, as it saves me a lot of time searching myself.

Discusion Starters

Have you ever taken Destiny? How about been in the group (even the GM) when someone else took it? How did it work out? If you’ve never played with it at all, what do you think of it? Are there any traits I ought to have included besides Destiny in this week’s discussion? I almost included Serendipity, but decided against it.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 03-08-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote