View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
Angle

Default Running a Sliver Hive Quest in GURPS [MTG]

So I've run a couple of sliver hive quests (Forum games where the players collectively guide the actions of the game with their votes. See here and here, if you're curious.) and they've been alright, but I've been dissatisfied with the mechanics, on account of using my own hacked together systems. The solution here is obvious, though not particularly easy - Use GURPS.

In order to do that, though, I need to figure out how to do a few things that aren't in any of the books, at least not so far as I can tell. First and foremost, I need to figure out how to roll success for player actions - whether or not they manage to organize their slivers to gather food, dig a hive, research ecology, whatever. There are some rules relevant to this in pyramid 3-54, City Management, and some other ones in 3-52 on Lord of the Manor, but nothing that tackles the issue directly, and I'm hesitant to try and intuit a general principle to adopt. Fighting uses Mass Combat, obviously.

I also have a number of more minor questions, which I'll ask as I discover them, but that's the big one - how to do success rolls for an entire hive devoted to a major task over a long period of time. Also some advice on balance might be nice, but that's not nearly as much of a priority. I'll go ahead and post my existing writeup here for perusal, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Angle; 01-29-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote