View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
Jinumon

Default [MA] Player Created Styles

Hey all,

I had a thought a moment ago, and I figured I'd share it with the community. How long do you think it should take a Player Character to create a Martial Arts style? In the same manner than Bruce Lee created Jeet Kune Do, just how many hours would it take to truly invent a style, such as that you could reap the benefits of it in play?

I almost always create "builders" of some kind when I play a character, be they musicians, architects, or weapons designers, and the idea of creating a martial art seems particularly interesting.

I would imagine at least 400 hours per Style Skill, Technique, and Perk (+400 more for Style Familiarity), representing the 200 hours per Character Point at half speed due to Self-Teaching (after all, you are trailblazing). Is this too little? Should mastery of each Skill, Technique, and Perk be required for the creation of a style that utilizes it?

Miyamoto Musashi supposedly disappeared into the wilderness for several years during his youth to develop Niten Ichi-Ryu, or "Two Heavens As One School," his famous dual-sword style.

What are your opinions on this? Just how long should it take to create a legitimate style?

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote