View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Akahige
Banned

Default Re: Disney's Gargoyles in GURPS

Maybe I don't quite understand the intricacies of the system, but it doesn't seem to me that the stone form really needs any serious statting. I believe it can all be done with Alternate Form (Active Change, +20%; Maximum Duration, sunrise to sunset, −0%; Once On, Stays On, +50%; Unconscious Only, −20%; Uncontrollable Trigger, sunrise, −10%) [21].

The disadvantages of having zero ST, DX, and IQ as an inanimate stone statue far outstrip the cost of Regeneration and DR. Nocturnal isn't really appropriate either, since it implies that you're just unconscious. Neither is Fragile needed, since the rules already state "...bricks and toasters -- are worth 0 points or less" and that "...you can become a typical example of an object like this without the need for a specific racial template."

P.S.: Here's the template I made up a while back. Obviously it bears a significant resemblance to the 3E one in the "Unofficial GURPS Gargoyles Page", just updated for 4E instead.

Alternate Form (Active Change, +20%; Maximum Duration, sunrise to sunset, −0%; Once On, Stays On, +50%; Unconscious Only, −20%; Uncontrollable Trigger, sunrise, −10%) [21]; Clinging (Nuisance Effect, leaves claw marks, −5%) [19]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, −40%) [3]; Enhanced Muscles 5 (Costs Fatigue, 1/minute, −5%; Emergencies Only, −30%) [26]; Extended Lifespan 1 [2] Extra Attack [25]; Night Vision 3 [3]; Perfect Balance [15]; Sharp Claws [5]; Sharp Teeth [1]; Temperature Tolerance 2 [4].

We could debate all day on exactly how many levels of given traits they should have, but then again if you're trying to rationalize it, gargoyles really shouldn't be able to fly with their quoted weights.

P.P.S.: As I stated earlier, I suggest that the above package covers the common traits of all gargoyles, and that one can easily come up with lenses that further specify which groups they belong in. Digitigrade Posture, Enhanced Move (Air), Flight (Controlled Gliding; Winged), Prehensile Tail, et cetera, are all options to be considered for the humanoid ones.

Last edited by Akahige; 03-31-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Akahige is offline   Reply With Quote