Thread: Combat by Chess
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Combat by Chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I would bring other skills and advantages into it.

You could have a contest of research skills to learn the opponents strengths and weaknesses. The winner gets a +1 bonus to their effective chess skill.

A contest of strategy skills to develop the best overall plan for another +1 bonus.

Contest of tactics skills to execute the best opening granting another +1.

Add some social engineering, maybe an intimidation check to rattle the opponent and give them penalties. Or an acting skill roll to sell a gambit yielding a bonus.

Maybe multiple will rolls to maintain concentration during the game. Every failed roll is a cumulative -2 penalty to chess skill.

You could also split the chess game into the opening, mid hand and end game for the actual contest of chess skill.
This is pretty good. Having players collect a bunch of minor bonuses that add to a single grand roll is a fantastic way to build tension. The stats might be effected a little, but in the end is essentially a single roll.

Part of me wonders if a single roll is too "Swingy" though. Perhaps double the part of the skills above 10?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote