Thread: Combat by Chess
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Gef

Default Re: Combat by Chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I don't know how interesting this is going to be as a topic. But suppose two masters have a combat by champion over a chessboard... How would one do it?
I'd have a real chess game. Yeah, the player may not be as good as his PC, but I'm not as good as the hypothetical NPC, either. I'd probably allow other players to advise my opponent. The real chess match would be representative of the fictional one, though not exactly the same. I think it's the best way to get the feel; rolling dice and debating modifiers is a poor substitute. Some things need to be abstracted (no fighting with real swords in the living room), but things like diplomacy - and chess - can be acted out, and that seems to work best. -GEF

PS: I once had a player whose PC drank a lot of potions in a short time for extra fatigue to cast spells. Now, there's no way she could cast those spells in the real world, but it is possible to determine how many 8oz glasses of water a girl can guzzle, so I asked her to show me. She was a good sport about it, and it actually produced real dramatic tension.

Last edited by Gef; 09-20-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote