View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #27
tbone

Default Re: Surgery - How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I'm obviously at odds with everyone else.
I don't know about that. I think you're right on target that Surgery could – and realistically should – do much more. But the game's injury rules only have so much detail, and they're (understandably) weighted toward downplaying the chances of complications and crippling. Where healing is concerned, the rules treat a 20-point "gaping wound" injury as nothing really different from ten 2-point injuries. And so on.

In short, it's unavoidable that a world with cinematic, simplified injury will lessen the impact of surgery. If I wanted to bring surgeons back up in importance, I'd switch on all the more detailed injury rules, and bring in the various uses for Surgery found in in BS, Low-Tech, Bio-Tech, people's house rule ideas, etc.

Hey, speaking of vets and surgery... Years ago, on the TV show Prison Break, an escaped convict gets a hand lopped off, and looks for a doctor to reattach it. He finds one... who explains he's a vet. The convict forces him to perform the reattachment anyway (with, IIRC, limited success).

I know, it's TV. I make no assumptions that I can run to the vet's office when I lose a body part. But out of curiosity: Does typical training for a vet actually extend to reattachment surgery?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote