View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 AM   #23
PK

Default Re: Surgery - How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I did quote the rules at the start but I think they are wrong.
Maybe I’m used to non-humans but surgery makes more of a difference than the rules state.
Surgeons have a saying ‘a chance to cut is a chance to cure’.
If something is not a mortal wound or a crippling injury is there any point in surgery? Yes, of course there is.
Does the surgery fix the problem? Yes, of course it does.
Otherwise why would there be surgeons?
Because surgery fixes problems. It just happens to fix problems other than "low HP." More surgical rules can be found in GURPS Bio-Tech, and additional books have suggested the optional rule that a Surgery roll is required to stop bleeding from the skull, eye, neck, vitals, or veins/arteries (if you use the latter hit location).

In addition, you may want to use an optional rule (from an article by Eric Funk) which was considered during the Bio-Tech playtest. (It didn't make it in, but I've used it frequently enough that I often forget that!) Basically, treat the extra injury from the vitals wounding multiplier as inherently unhealing; e.g., if you take 3 penetrating damage to the vitals, which becomes 9 HP of injury, the first 3 HP are normal but the remaining 6 HP are unhealing. Then the Surgery skill can be used to convert (margin of success + 1) of those HP to normal injury. It's harsh, but realistic. (Note that, even with this rule, the Surgery skill is only used to facilitate healing, not to recover HP directly.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 09-05-2017 at 11:52 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote