View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
shadowjack

Default Re: Mounted infantry, overruns, and ramming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Per 5.11.3, infantry may not dismount from a vehicle the same turn as it embarks.

It's not specifically noted, but it seems to follow that that would include dismounting for an overrun per 8.06.1. Is this correct?
Hmm.

As I see it, the point of the "no mounting and dismounting in the same turn" rule is to stop infantry from getting an instant six-hex strike distance via GEV catapult. It seems fair to apply this to overruns, too. So, I would say yes, the rule applies. If you want your infantry to be able to bail out properly, make sure you take a turn to form up before charging.

Quote:
This led me to the question: what happens to infantry if their mount rams or is rammed?
8.05.3 says that rams in overrun have normal effects, and 6.07 says that infantry cannot be rammed. I would rule that riders jump clear at the last moment, and are not harmed by the collision with their mount; they are simply dismounted automatically, overriding rule 5.11.3. (I doubt this is unbalancing; who's going to base a strategy about wrecking their own armor units just to let their infantry dismount in overrun? Other than Launchpad McQuack, that is.) While passengers inside a truck are trapped, and are destroyed with the transporting vehicle; sucks to be ambushed.
shadowjack is online now   Reply With Quote