View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Phantasm

Default Re: [THM] Realm Magic House Rules for Superhero Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightgoblin View Post
I like what you have going on here! I too have been playing with realms of power as an idea for my games. Where did you hear about these six realms? Were they mentioned in the Doctor Strange movie?
The six Realms were chosen several years before the Dr. Strange movie made it into pre-production, based in part on the Infinity Gems. (Remember, I've been working on my Marvel Reboot project since '07, maybe even late '06, which puts a lot of my design choices before Downey was cast for Tony Stark.)

The six Infinity Gems are Mind, Power, Reality, Soul, Space, and Time. For making the Realms I altered things so that Power became Energy, Reality became Matter, and Soul became Spirit, both to more accurately define what the Realms cover and to make them somewhat distinct from the Gems.

Note that Marvel magic (in the comics) commonly has three flavors of "white" magic: Egocentric (personal powers of the mind and spirit), Ecocentric (magic that manipulates ambient energy for affecting the world around you), and Exocentric (magic that draws upon extradimensional energies or involves traveling between dimensions). Black magic in Marvel commonly means drawing energy from unwilling living beings or enslaving demons for their power (and Strange has dabbled in that from time to time). And that's not covering other types of magic such as the chaos magic manipulated by Wanda Maximoff/the Scarlet Witch.

Clear as mud? :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote