View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
whswhs

Default Re: Starting a Campaign, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzro View Post
The problem I'm having is that I have no idea how to actually start the campaign. All I really have is stats for Nazi MPs and a plan for an early game mission to derail a German supply train, and the players being exposed to the secret cargo of Nazi Wizardry. Does anyone have any experience with starting rebellion/resistance campaigns? Like, having one or more of the characters being rescued or recruited by the resistance or something?
Some years ago I ran a campaign where Sauron had caught Frodo sneaking over the borders, reclaimed the One Ring, and conquered Gondor, Rohan, Isengard, the Grey Havens, the Shire, and Rivendell. The player characters were in the resistance. What I did to start the campaign off was to play the backstory: I told the players, "Tell me where your characters were when the armies of Mordor came in, and we'll trace how you got to where the resistance is. Your characters are guaranteed not to die or be crippled during these initial sessions; they'll end up with exactly the traits on their character sheets." And then we played out their travels.

That gave us quite a panorama of Middle-Earth; we had characters starting out outside Minas Morgul, in Gondor, in Wilderland, in the Grey Havens, in the Shire, and in the lands of the Dunedain. By the time we were done I had shown a panorama of all of Middle-Earth in ruins.

This isn't necessarily the right option for your campaign, but it's one way to do it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote