View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Cosmology and game mechanics for Dream Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
My preferred dreamworld trope is that it has nothing at all to do with physical proximity. It's a product of affinity of the spirit. See for example Kipling's story "The Brushwood Boy," where the shared dreams seeming are set off by a single chance meeting between two small children who don't meet again for a couple of decades.
One of my favorite stories. My dad used to read that one too me at night after he got home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Agreed.

Sounds more like Social Regard then.
Still, sounds cool.
Thanks. :-) It wasn't half bad. My players enjoyed it. I didn't even get to make use of it till the third story arc though because the first two were all about the set up. Still, worked like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
There are rules for something like this in GURPS Social Engineering, in the discussion of reference societies and characters who change reference societies.
I believe this is where I originally pulled the rules and then modified it for my campaign bible - though I do remember having the idea long before that. Heck, I think this was something we discussed during the playtest. I know Rank and Status were picked apart heavily.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote