Thread: Vampire Virus
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #32
Otaku

Default Re: Vampire Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Well, the default assumption in many settings is that vampires are secretly in control (or one of many competing groups). Just because a vampire is biological versus supernatural does not mean that they are not secretly in charge. When you have Unaging, you have time to gain wealth and power.
Um...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I mean, unless they are in charge. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I agree though that Very Rapid Healing is the most worthless advantage in GURPS and, since the template already has two inhuman traits (Immunity to Metabolic Hazards and Unaging), you might as well go for three with Regeneration (Slow) and save 5 points. I would also personally replace Infectious Attack with Social Disease, but that is my own preference.
Hmm... have to think about that, but I can see why you'd do that. I had another idea that may or may not make things seem more realistic (seem... not necessarily actually be) and help with affording the template. Another common trope with immortals, in general, are the ones that gain power over time. It is no stranger to vampires, and sometimes includes the risk of development going awry.

I'm not sure if it would be a Feature or Unusual Background or something else, but what if there is a minimal, baseline vampire package. You get infected, you'll have these things unless you find a way to lose them. If you embrace vampiredom, you can go beyond. So how about an example of what this would change?

Newbie vampires would have Extended Lifespan (maybe with Longevity), instead of Unaging. They can, however, get more levels of Extended Lifespan, and eventually Unaging with Age Control, if they consume enough people. Or maybe the right people. Something like that. Another example is improving Regeneration, eventually gaining Regrowth, and maybe even Unkillable Lv.1 (the first two can have appropriate conditions so they don't seem quite as far-fetched, like Regrowth actually working by just grafting a replacement on from a "donor"). "Young" vampires get a honeymoon period where they might think they're immortal, but suddenly they realize they actually are aging, just more slowly, or have to deal with having been injured beyond what Slow (Regeneration) can deal with, etc. Do they become true monsters so they can live forever?

Oh, and people who would gladly make this trade still face a challenge... what kind of power can they get by pushing the limits of vampiredom? For every 1000 that try, one probably joins the ranks of the elder vampires, with the power, the prestige, and few additional drawbacks. A few more come close, but most either perish or make mistakes. "Oh, consuming enough wolf blood lets you gain X... but too much and you become a hairy monster. Oops."
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote