View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 01:57 AM   #39
Gollum

Default Re: Improving the Tonfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
sw cr/thr cr seems to where GURPS pegs the damage for most relatively short lengths of wood. The baton, jo wielded as broadsword, dusack and short staff are all set there. I'm pretty sure that the GURPS tonfa is what is intended to be used for a traditional tonfa. At ST 10 you get the light club and bokken wielded as broadsword with sw+1 cr/thr+1 cr. Do you think the tonfa should edge into that territory?

[...]

Do you have any suggestions for how the stats GURPS tonfa might be modified to reflect your experience?
I think that swing+2 cr / thrust+1 cr would be perfect.

Quote:
To be fair, what's being described is totally foregoing the actual Tonfa skill, never changing from honte-mochi and only using it to parry and act as an enhancer for unarmed style strikes. That's presumably easier than actually learning how to use a tonfa for someone who already has skill with unarmed martial arts.
Yes. But that is very hard to handle a tonkwa. Its ability to circle around the twist makes its strength... But it really becomes a weakness if you are not used to handle it: it can twist during your punch or even on the target, when you hit it. Furthermore, you can easily knock your own ribs when making hikite (taking back the other arm), your other arm when making a parry, etc. It is really a dangerous weapon! Even for the user...

Quote:
Given the broad body of stuff already included in a GURPS unarmed combat skill that doesn't seem unreasonable. I'm sure most karateka would also be nonplussed if handed a bladed hand and expected to fight with it after spending the time to gain familiarity but that's also something that GURPS Karate lets you do.
Yes... And it's neihter realistic. Being very good at karate doesn't make someone being very good with tonkwa or any other weapon. It would be like saying than being very good with guns make you being very good with bows (or vice versa) because you learned to aim.

Last edited by Gollum; 01-01-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote