View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 12:56 AM   #36
Toptomcat

Default Re: Improving the Tonfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
That brings up an important point as well. If the tonfa isn't performing excellently then change it. I'd also be interested in ideas for realistic alterations of a tonfa that might make it perform better.
Realistically, the most obvious improvement is to put a blade on the end of the thing (perhaps a hidden one?), but then we're starting to stray from the 'one-handed wooden crushing weapon' niche that you seem fond of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Mine weighs 1 pound (a piece) and are just training tonkwas. If the craftsman who made them (a black belt kobudoka) had to make true weapons, he would use an even harder wood.
You seem somewhat preoccupied with the softness and lightness of polycarbonate police batons. Have you actually handled one? They aren't toys. This example weighs a pound and a half.

Quote:
So, in GURPS terms, she is only supposed to deal 1d+1 cr with a swinging tonkwa blow.
Are you ignoring hit location modifiers? 1d+1 cr is (1d-1)x4 damage when applied to the skull. A roll of 1 or 2 will 'only' deal 4 damage, applying the maximum possible shock penalty. A roll of 3 will deal 8 damage, forcing a knockdown roll at -10. A roll of 4 or 5 will deal 12-16 damage, forcing a knockdown roll at -10 and a HT roll to remain concious. And a roll of 6 will deal 20 damage, forcing all of the above plus an HT roll against outright death.

You think it deserves more damage? How much more?

Quote:
I would rather use the bo, which is less dangerous but inflicts (in reality, not in GURPS) less damage.
There are some very basic principles of leverage which make that highly unlikely.

Quote:
I'm just a beginner in kobudo...
You're making an awful lot of authoritative pronouncements about kobudo weapons for a beginner.

Last edited by Toptomcat; 01-01-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote