View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #32
tshiggins

Default Re: X-Files level characters

I started the Facets characters at 125 points. That gave them enough to have one really nice stat, one good one, and enough skills and talents to have regular jobs, as well as the survival and outdoorsy skills suitable for a Search and Rescue team.

I was also very clear that most professionals have skills of about 13, or so, and wouldn't let anybody take any more than one or two skills (maybe) at 14. Several of them had no skills that high, at the start of the game.

For Mulder and Scully, I'd say they're both veteran law enforcement agents with significant side interests. Mulder had a reputation in the FBI as one of the bureau's finest psychological profilers, responsible for catching several serial killers, before he "went off the deep end" and got the assignment he'd been working to earn. Scully was a fine forensic medical doctor with decent surgery skills, as well as having the law enforcement powers.

I'd put them at 150 points, each. A bit better than skilled civilian SAR volunteers, and definitely more focused, but neither Mulder nor Scully could go toe-to-toe with a special operative. Lots of times, their butts got hauled out of the fire because they each had powerful patrons -- especially Mulder, with his friends in the U.S. Senate, and then Scully, who always had Skinner to watch her back even more than he did Mulder's.

Last edited by tshiggins; 12-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote