View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #23
dripton

Default Re: I need a touch of help with clarity of magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Well, I concede that I was unsure of how Breathe Fire and Jet spells worked. So Jet requires you to spend 1-4 Fat in the first turn, doing nothing? That really sucks. Though Jet spells may change significantly in the DFRPG.
Remember, Jet spells can be maintained. And if you have them at a high level, the maintenance cost goes down.

For example, a wizard with Flame Jet-15 can cast a 1d Flame Jet at the beginning of the day and just maintain it all day, for free. (Except for the -1 to other spells for having a spell on.) If it's already up when a fight starts, he doesn't need to spend a turn Concentrating; he can just get in there and whack people with it.

Of course, 1d is nothing to brag about. It would be more typical for that wizard to cast a 3d flame jet at the beginning of combat. So one turn wasted while casting. But now, for the cost of 2 FP per turn (one less because of the skill 15), he can whack people for 3d fire damage, with reach 3. That reach is huge, both because it saves time moving next to your targets, and because it lets you hide behind the big guys with armor.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote