View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #33
Captain Joy

Default Re: New to GURPS and concerned about combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arith Winterfell View Post
The general gist of the combat system I understand at the moment is:

1. Attacker uses relevant skill to make attack, if rolled under skill, continue
2. Defender rolls defense roll of (Dodge, Parry, or Shield), if failed, continue.
3. Roll damage, see how much damage and how much damage is "absorbed/taken" by DR to see how much gets through. Apply damage.

That's the bare bones I'm grasping right now, though I'm unsure if it is "enough" for running a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Step 4. Apply Wounding Modifier to penetrating damage to determine total HP loss. Otherwise, you pretty much have it.

If you're using Psi in place of Magic, build powers with points, and apply the Psi (-10%) Power Modifier.
I'd not worry about Step 4 starting out, but add it when your group wants the extra detail. This might occur soon into your first gaming session; you might be satisfied with only Steps 1-3 for months.

I think you'll enjoy adding (again, only when you're ready and want to) Hit Locations when the time comes. Extra Effort In Combat [B357] also provides a lot of gaming-fun: worth the additional rules-learning/FP-tracking, IMHO.

For what it's worth, I try to maintain a collection of fan made combat cheat sheets and stuff.

Also, you might not have realized it, but Kromm is the GURPS line editor. That's right, your post was given personal attention by a primary author of GURPS! How cool is that?

Last edited by Captain Joy; 07-12-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added link, Extra Effort suggestion, and Kromm bit
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote