View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #21
Mailanka

Default Re: Doing Things Better #1: Entertaining your fellow-players

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If I set up a party, and not a game session, then a game will only happen if the guests spontaneously decide to game.
A party is a larger set that roleplaying games are contained within. The same larger principles that apply to putting together a good kegger, a good birthday party or a good tea party apply to putting together a good roleplaying game. Naturally, the details on all of these matter. Nothing in what I said claimed that they didn't.

Yes, obviously, if you put together a good tea party, it'd be a terrible roleplaying game. But that's decidedly missing the point.

Derive your specifics from larger principles first.

Quote:
If you show a documentary, or serve a meal, or have cocktails, or whatever, you are providing something fun to do, or to facilitate talk, but you aren't running a game.
How is this even relevant?

Quote:
I don't think they are invalid. The versions I proposed hit all the same points, except that a game and not some other random party happens happens. My point (3) also has food and beverages.
Yes, you proved that the larger principles I described could be applied to other things. Well done.

Quote:
If I set up a game session and people come over and "just shoot the breeze and drink my beer and eat my pizza and make jokes and completely fail to connect with the game" then I won't have fun and I won't consider it a success. Isn't my enjoyment of my own free time relevant?
Of course it is. That's the entire point of my post.