View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #8
mook

Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm
Add this:
IF sheathed sword has a lower basic speed than Graby Gabe, the Gabe can grab hold of Sheathed Sword's hand(say, right?). Sheathed Sword then needs a DX roll at a -4 penalty to ready his weapon AT ALL.
Perfectly fine workaround Verjigorm - unfortunately, the examples are meant to illustrate the Basic set rules-as-written, no more no less, so adding in a house rule isn't really an option for me. Thanks though. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
This is incorrect. Nothing in GURPS Basic Set says that your weapon is not fully ready until the beginning of the next turn. It just says "it takes one turn" to ready (check "When is a Weapon Ready" on p. B383, "Readying Weapons And Other Gear on p. 382). It doesn't give an exception anywhere to the allowable defenses that a weapon you Ready can't be used to parry until the following turn, either. It takes a full action (i.e. a Ready maneuver) to take out a weapon, but it can be used to parry immediately. Fast-Draw contrasts with this by allowing you to ready your weapon so quickly it doesn't take a Maneuver, so you can use it immediately, and you don't use a turn Readying.
Hmm - see, "it takes one turn" to me means, you declare your maneuver, it takes one turn, then at the start of your next turn it's ready - I would think if a weapon could be used to Parry before it could be used to Attack, that would be explicitly stated somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmet

B376 Parrying
You cannot parry unless your weapon is ready[...]

B383 When Is a Weapon Ready?
A weapon is "ready" if it is in your hand and ready to attack. It takes one turn to ready a weapon from a scabberd[...]

But since your weapon is only ready to attack in the turn after your Ready-maneuver so is your weapon to Parry.
This was my understanding too - you cannot Parry unless your weapon is Ready, but your weapon is only Ready "if it is in your hand and ready to attack".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
You should be afraid, because you've misunderstood.
Once you've finished the maneuver, your sword is Ready. Then the next person takes their turn.
I see - so you're saying that *immediately* after declaring Ready as your maneuver, your weapon is technically Ready - the only reason you can't Attack with it is because your next opportunity to declare a maneuver doesn't come until the start of your next turn?

If that's the case then I can see where one could Parry with a weapon on the same turn that they declare they are readying it (and also, this would allow someone to attempt a disarm in response to a Ready maneuver), but it seems pretty 50/50 to me from the text - is there any 'official'/semi-official/quasi-official post on this?
mook is offline   Reply With Quote