View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Research help for Pulp Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I don't have anything myself on the practical side. I found a recommendation for the Time-Life book Fists of Steel, and decided to take a punt on it, since it's very cheap used.
It's not that great. It has a few things, and quite a lot of nice pictures, but I can't recommend it.

It concentrates on the work done through Krupp, since they were involved with a lot. There was a viewpoint that they had major responsibility for the re-armament of Germany, and the head of the company from 1909 to 1941, Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach was due to be tried at Nuremberg, but he was senile, and clearly unfit for trial. The prosecution didn't notice this until late on and tried to substitute his son Alfried, but the judges would not have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
First, the "Dutch" company was a front for a German joint venture of AG Vulcan and AG Weser, under the auspices of the Reichsmarineamt.
Yup. The actual design work was done in Germany. A note from the Time-Life book is that in the early 1930s, IVS obtained a lot of submarine components (periscopes, diesel engines, and the like) and stockpiled them in Kiel. There's a sabotage mission there.

I've found a much more detailed book, Covert German Rearmament, 1919-1939, by Barton Whaley. Is there any particular sub-period you're interested in?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote