View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
jacobmuller

Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
<shrug> Those lists just make crap up. The inability to produce historicallly accurate lsits of greater "depth" than we have is the reasons those lists don't exist in Gurps.

Even when you can find historical price lists, half the time you can't be quite sure what the item listed actually _is_. Even whn you can get a decent ahndle on the item you can't find other examples to verify that thsi was indeed an "average" much less "generic" and "universal" price for that item.

As to your examples, tools have highly varying prices, mostly based on weight and dificulty of construction.

Clothing (professional or otherwise) usually costs the same as other clothing of the same weight and quality unless decorated.

I would have thought low tech survival equipment was adequately covered. You've got knives, axes, rope and so forth mostly contained within the Personal and Group basics from Basic. Basic even pretends that you can "buy" poles at TL0 instead of having to cut your own off trees.

In this period, art supplies were not purchased. They were made by the artist from scratch. It was probably mid TL5 before you could go to a store and buy them.
a modern-day equivalent to illustrate why buying Low-Tech is a very good idea.
I had a Spectrum, in original box, "plus all the bells & whistles". Listed in an antiques catalogue as worth £150. In reality, some lousy dealer was chancing his arm that some idiot would pay that much. You could buy one on e-bay for £25. I gave mine away and 3 others. What should the list price be?
And then you need to ask, what's a "Spectrum"? How come I had 4 and different models at that.
If you want reliably consistent, updated, errata'd listings, buy the book. If you just want a crazy guess, compare it to how much it costs today. Free downloads? You get what you pay for, usually.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote