View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: How exactly would a Religion of a god of theives work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
However: for whatever reason a lot of fantasy settings are stuck with henotheistic religions even though there aren't many historical models to base them on. This raises a number of world-building questions about how the different cults relate to one another.
What I find odd is that if I run a setting that explicitly polythesistic the players inevitably default to henotheistic, even if I (or the setting's writers) make an effort to show that worship is typically polytheistic. I noticed this in my setting Thallassia which had the explicit worship of a sun god, moon goddess, and intercessor/pyschopomp/lesser moon god as a single unified religion of the pantheon. I saw it too in Eberron where one of the major religions is a large sprawling pantheon (that has both "good" and "evil" deities) that is actively worshiped in the setting as a pantheon. It's particularly weird there, because the game materials specifically state that spellcasting clerics are uncommon in the setting (as opposed to NPC Adepts), and of those in this particular religion most are dedicated to the entire pantheon. Yet players still seem to insist on Henotheism, and I can't fathom it at all.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote