View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
IIRC, Kromm once weighed in on 10 points for the first level and 2 or 3 for each additional level.

I've tried it at 3/additional and it works pretty well.
My initial house rule for this, if I were to try to fix GURPS, would be to say that each additional level, beyond the first, imposes a -2 penalty to the HT roll, not -1.

Kromm's suggestion, if implemented like that, would mean that each additional level would impose a -3 or even a -5 penatly, rather than -1.

Also, if I were to house rule Affliction, I'd split out Beneficial Affliction and make that a separate trait, with its own mechanics. And while I was at it I'd expand Blessed (Heroic Feats) to be more versatile, to become a Self-Buff trait, and probably recycle most if not all mechanics from Beneficial Affliction (which would then be Buff Other).

But if ignoring the problem of players (or GMs) wanting to have a "punchier" Affliction but being understandably uwilling to pay double cost for -1 to the HT resist roll or triple cost for -2, Affliction looks reasonably good to me.

I particularly like the idea of being able to induce Ecstacy or Euphoria in targets as a manipulative method, a sort of subtle and insidious brainwashing, and there's an NPC in my Ärth setting who does exactly that. I don't know much about her, but ignoring the fact that what she's doing is a learnable spell in the setting (and the too-low effect of more than one level), it'd be perfectly doable as a writeup in GURPS, an Affliction to induce either Euphoria or Ecstacy in the target, depending on how badly the WL resist roll fails, probably touch-range or with a stronger touch-based version and a weaker (AA) short-ranged version.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote