View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #448
acrosome

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

I'm unaware of anywhere in the US that moccasins are actually common. (Including on the rez other than regalia in ceremonies, actually.) So that seems unlikely, from a cultural aspect, for your character. Many slippers are moccasin-like, often lined with (synthetic) sheepskin, but that's all I can think of.

Military guys seem to just wear their running shoes when they need something comfortable or somewhat destructible off-duty. And the Special Guys all wore trail runners or mid-height trail shoes when I was in Africa (I still have my Keen Voyageurs) but that's probably because mud was not a serious threat where I was in Africa. Deep mud would suck those right off of your feet. (This is the main advantage of boots- that they don't come off in mud.)

If he's seriously into the Latin American thing, how about huaraches? Or, huaraches? :) I have a pair of the latter and find them rather handy- easy to pack in a backpack, since they are flat and take up little volume. They're both more Mexican than Central American, though a quick google of "Guatemalan shoes" shows something essentially identical to the former. Neither is really what I would call combat footwear, though.

Last edited by acrosome; 07-01-2018 at 08:29 AM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote