View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #53
martinl

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages is released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
That's the trait I deem b.s. Converting experiences or readings into skills you can use is called learning. PM has nothing to do with learning, just memorizing. Learning costs points and takes the usual amount of time, even for an AI. I don't buy that an AI needs seconds to learn Physics from a book while a human needs months. That's rubbish.
It seems to me that a "software" AI, given the proper reference materials and code, designed for that kind of AI, could simply incorporate them as fast as they could be written into it's working memory. It doesn't have to work this way, and it's pretty alien, but I don't see how it's necessarily rubber science any more than any software patch is. I'd assume that libraries for civs with lots of AIs would collect such information.

Similarly, it is conceivable that a hardware AI might have plug in modules that more or less do the same thing.

I can also conceive of an entity that can take human-level reference materials and neigh-instantly convert them into AI-compatable useful code. It seems unlikely that such a transhuman entity would have much use beyond curiosity for human level reference materials.

Modular abilities handles this sort of thing fine in GURPS, although sufficiently powerful AIs can be pretty pricey. (For good reason!) Kromm is ofc 100% right that PM is not the right GURPS ability to represent this. It is a literally inhuman way of thinking ("my self is modular").

Regards,
martinl
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote