View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #40
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Different critical spell failure tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
While I could certainly decide to make magic spell casting a routine and relatively unhazardous profession,
Sure, but aren't we talking about a situation were it is supposed to be relatively safe profession. If you are complaining that nobody would be a professional enchanter or spell-caster because of the demons then there's a fundamental problem in your reasoning. Settings where every spell is dangerous aren't ones where spell-casting is a mundane job.
Quote:
I am under no obligation to do it any more than I'm under an obligation to make barnstorming or professional wrestling as safe as being an accountant.
AFAICT the most common causes of death in pro-wrestling is heart failure, and car accidents, same as the general population. There is no way that pro-wrestling is more dangerous than any other kind of stage combat.
Quote:
Some jobs are just bloody dangerous. And if I want to make magic a chancy thing that people don't use casually at least without the right perks, then I think I'm consistent with both the rules and typical nonmagitech fantasy universe assumptions.
Yes, but that wouldn't be a setting with NPC mage's casting dozens of spells a day.
Quote:
Note that magic has totally different rules for taking extra time than the mundane skills you reference do.
It does? I did? I referenced job rolls actually. Jobs are all monthly rolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Two orbiters lost in 135 launches indicates that it really wasn't at a commercial airliner level of reliability.
Yes, but manned spacecraft are not at GURPS critical failure levels of failure, either.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote