View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #13
jason taylor

Default Re: Space Opera Factions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Empires come in different flavors. You can do a glorious and honorable Rome, or a corrupt and decadent Rome, or both. Star Trek's Romulans were originally meant as a sort of Rome in decay. Later they were clearly evil Rome. China the wonderful is a good seldom used Empire. A sinister Fu Manchu China in space (can you say Ming the Merciless?) is also an option. A glorious radical Empire is also an option. The early Islamic Empires, brutal as they often were, saw themselves as liberators. Some people in their empires, including people not of their faith, would have agreed. You could have several different Empires with different strengths and weaknesses playing against each other.
The cliche "Empire" is evil. It is possible to have an empire no worse then an empire on Earth. "Good Empires" are just Federations with fancy clothes. But I think the rule of thumb in speculative fiction is that empire is shorthand for evil and large, even if particular authors use Imperial titles for a good state.

I don't remember Fair Cathay being used as the basis for a sci fi state. Unless you count the Ziru Sirka. One not mentioned which could be used is an empire which is never found on stage but from which come marvelous things. I think that would be a great setting hook.

If I remember Fu Manchu was a gangster not an Emperor. The idea really isn't incompatible in principal with a sympathetic China even if the original was incorrigibly racist.

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-06-2018 at 01:44 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote