View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #48
tbone

Default Re: Knowing the outcome of an attack before choosing to actively defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The Rolemaster concept of having to decide how much of your weapon skill to allocate to defense before you know how good the attack is, does not reflect reality. It is a pure gamble and there is no skill involved. It reminds me of playing blackjack and having to decide how much to bet before you see a single card. There is no skill involved at this stage of the game - it is dumb luck whether your bet is commensurate to your first card.
Under that system, wouldn't it be a smart tactic to enter the fight with your weapon skill allocated mostly to defense? Don't gamble with skill allocated to offense against an unknown foe; go in wary, and as you ward him off, conservatively shift skill from defense to offense until you can hit him.

If you can do that in Rolemaster, I'd say it actually sounds rather realistic, with a fighter "feeling out" foes to determine how aggressive he can afford to be.

Then again, I've never played RM, so I don't much know what I'm talking about. : )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote