View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #49
Varyon

Default Re: Balancing High Size Modifier

I've updated and cleaned up my mass and volume system. I'll take some of the lessons from there to tackle SM.

As I outlined previously in the thread, most of the effects of SM work out to be Features. The exceptions are Consumption (which should be handled on a case-by-case basis - an SM+5 dragon and SM-2 halfling each needing to eat as much per day as an SM+0 human may be perfectly appropriate), mass-based grappling effects, and weight/cost of gear. I'm ignoring the wounding modifier houserules here, which result in [+24] to the worth of each level of positive SM, [-24] to the worth of each level of negative SM.

SM+1 means, on average, x3.4 to body weight and x2 to weight/cost of gear. The former is worth around [9], the latter is worth [-20]. Thus, SM+1 is worth [-11]. SM+2 means, on average, x8 to body weight and x5 to weight/cost of gear. The former is worth around [19], the latter is worth around [-61]. Thus, SM+2 is worth [-42]. SM+3 means, on average, x27 to body weight and x10 to weight/cost of gear. The former is worth around [42], the latter is worth around [-108]. Thus, SM+3 is worth [-66]. This means, for the 10%/SM discount on ST to be "worth it," an SM+1 character needs ST 21, and SM+2 character needs ST 31, and an SM+3 character needs ST 32.
On the other side of things, SM-2 is x1/8 to body weight and x1/5 to weight/cost of gear. The former is worth around [-6], the latter is worth around [28]. Thus, SM-2 is worth [22] - you'll need to drop to around ST 8 or so to offset it.

Personally, I prefer to dispense with the ST discount hack and just have SM as a trait that costs points (positive or negative, depending on how you work things out).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote